Garden Tomato, Basil and Chicken Tart
Great as an Appetizer or as a Meal
Serves: 8 (appetizer) or 4 (main)
10 oz (280 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg (2 sheets) puff pastry, about 10-12 inches x 5 inches (25-30 cm x 13 cm)
1 egg yolk(s), medium
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp (15 mL + 5 mL) olive oil
2 tsp (10 mL) water
6 plum tomatoes
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) basil, fresh, minced
1. Defrost frozen puff pastry at room temperature for 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator. The dough should feel cool to touch when you start working with it. Place dough on dry lightly floured working surface. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each of two blocks of frozen puff pastry into a rectangle about 12 inches long (30 cm). Spray two baking sheets with non-stick vegetable spray and place 1 pastry on each sheet. Prick sheets of pastry with a fork.
2. Sauté chicken breast in non-stick skillet until browned and thoroughly cooked. Cool then slice into thin strips diagonally.
3. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
4. Whisk together the egg yolk, 1 tsp (5 mL) oil and water to make a wash. Use a pastry brush to coat each of the pastries with the wash.
5. Thinly slice Roma tomatoes and place on paper towel to drain excess moisture.
6. Alternate slices of tomato and chicken on top of pastry, leaving a 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) border.
7. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and finally the sugar.
8. Bake until the tomatoes caramelize (approximately 25 minutes). Remove and sprinkle with chopped basil. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of: Recipe and Photo from Chicken Farmers of Canada
Website developed by Vantix Systems Inc.